Court of Protection Solicitor Job Advert
We are looking for a solicitor to join our Court of Protection team. Atkins & Palmer is a growing firm and the role has excellent opportunities for career development, as well as a friendly team and supportive work environment.
About the firm
Atkins & Palmer is a specialist Court of Protection and mental health law firm. Our office is in the centre of Teddington, in the London Borough of Richmond.
Atkins & Palmer is recognised for its excellence in Court of Protection work in the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners. Our director, Amy Butler, was recently a finalist in the Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Awards for disability rights. Dr Bogdan Cretu, co-founder of the firm, is a medical doctor with specialism in Emergency Medicine, bringing a wealth of medical experience to the Court of Protection team.
Atkins & Palmer holds a legal aid contract and we are committed to providing legal aid services and access to justice. Our Court of Protection team works on a variety of cases, including representing those residing in care homes, cases concerning international relocation and medical treatment cases.
Atkins & Palmer is a forward-thinking firm, using technology to assist with the provision of high-quality advice. We are based in a modern office and are entirely paperless. We maintain a professional but also relaxed work environment.
You will work within our Court of Protection team managing a caseload of Court of Protection welfare matters. You will be expected to carry out the usual tasks when running a case; for example, preparing witness statements, instructions to experts, briefing counsel, attending court and meeting with clients. You will often be working with clients who are vulnerable, or family members of vulnerable clients.
You will receive a thorough induction and appropriate support from a designated supervisor to enable you to succeed and feel comfortable in carrying out the role. As well as managing a caseload, you will be involved in marketing to continue to raise the profile of the firm and expand the client base. You will also have a learning and development plan with opportunities to work towards supervisor status or obtain Law Society accreditations where appropriate.
The ideal candidate
The following is essential:
- A qualified solicitor or Legal Executive (CILEX), with an experience level of newly qualified or above.
- A solid understanding of matters arising from the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Court of Protection practice and procedures, SRA regulations and legal aid contract requirements.
- The ability to manage your own caseload, to work well under pressure, good time management skills and good team working skills.
- Excellent client care skills and experience of working with vulnerable clients.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
The following is desirable:
- Law Society Mental Capacity (Welfare) Accreditation
- Meeting the Legal Aid Agency supervisor status in the category of mental health law
- Experience of community care work, including judicial review
- Experience of conducting advocacy
- A driving licence
The guide salary band for this role is £32,000 – £45,000, dependent on level of experience.
The role is based in our office in Teddington, in the London Borough of Richmond.
We offer the following benefits:
- 25 days holiday
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave pay
- Enhanced sick leave pay
- Birthday leave
- Miscarriage leave
- Enhanced child bereavement leave pay
- Paid time off work for volunteering
- The opportunity to work flexibly from the office or at home
As soon as possible, but this can be flexible to suit a successful candidate.
Application & interview
To apply for this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com by 14 January 2022.
Your covering letter should set out how you meet the essential experience and skills for the role as set out in this advert. You should also include any additional experience and skills you would bring to the role. The interviews will take place as soon as possible at our office in Teddington.
Would you like to see your job advertisement on the MHLA website, for just £75? Send your text and optional logo to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will supply an invoice. Adverts are published upon receipt of payment.