Solicitor (Public Law & Human Rights/ Court of Protection welfare – Leeds)
We are currently looking for a Solicitor with at least 5 years PQE to work within our national Public Law & Human Rights department based in our Leeds office.
IM is a respected national law firm. IM’s Public Law and Human Rights Department is a leader in its fields and offers really exciting opportunities to work in a successful team. There will be opportunities to develop and work on varied, interesting and cutting-edge cases with some high profile cases reported in the media and progressing up to the appellate courts including the Supreme Court. We are committed to using the law as a vehicle to achieve social justice for our clients. We are ranked in the legal directories for Court of Protection as Tier 1.
Our current specialisms cover advisory work and litigation disputes in the areas of judicial review, community care and health welfare cases in the Court of Protection. There may also be the opportunity to undertake some civil liberties cases as well. We have forged a national reputation for work on test cases and our work regularly receives considerable media attention and produces reported legal judgements. We have a national reach and operate within a supportive department that has proven experience and expertise in this area of law.
We hold Legal Aid Agency contracts in public law and community care law and are also instructed by privately funded individuals, businesses, professional associations and institutions including national and local charities and other voluntary organisations.
We have Public Law and Human Rights teams in Cambridge, Birmingham, Bristol, London, and Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Southampton and Sheffield and an enviable reputation as leaders in the field.
This is an exciting and rare opportunity, which includes the following:
• Varied responsibilities, including taking instructions from and advising clients, undertaking legal research, preparing pleadings, witness statements, applications and bundles, liaising with experts, attending conferences with Counsel, clients and experts, obtaining evidence to support clients’ cases, and prosecuting cases through to settlement meeting or trial, if necessary.
• Achieving own time-recording and fee income targets. Attaining required Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours to comply with Law Society Regulations, where appropriate.
• Managing a challenging case-load with full conduct of clients’ matters from inception to completion.
• Working with junior colleagues and assisting more senior lawyers on all aspects of high value and complex cross-jurisdictional cases. The caseload includes opportunities to advise and conduct litigation on health and social care law, mental capacity law, human rights law and general public law.
• Working alongside colleagues in our personal injury, medical negligence, financial deputyship and private client teams.
• Keeping up to date with changes in relevant law and practice and attending training events to ensure application of up to date legal knowledge and best practice.
• Contributing to relevant practice development initiatives and events to promote and develop the firm’s practice.
We are looking for enthusiastic and committed applicants, who can demonstrate that they will thrive on working in a busy environment and confident to manage a complex caseload.
Candidates will need to have excellent client care and communication skills, as the role will involve assisting with client communication and liaising with other professionals. The successful candidate will need to show that they can cope well under pressure and maintain excellent time management skills, work as part of a team with the ability to multi-task and keep to tight deadlines.
In addition to a competitive basic salary we have an exciting benefits package including a contributory pension scheme, critical illness cover, health cash plan, death in service, discounted legal services, 25 days hols (this increases with length of service), discounted online shopping, season ticket loans, childcare vouchers.
Irwin Mitchell is passionate about the law and in providing our clients with the very best legal advice and guidance.
We believe in putting our clients first. Our client care is second to none and this, underpinned by our promise to exceed client expectations, has helped the firm to grow to become one of the UK’s most successful and respected law firms.
Today we employ over 2800 people in 15 UK offices.
Irwin Mitchell is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Too apply, please visit our website:
For all recruitment updates, follow us on Twitter – @WorkatIM
Would you like to see your job advertisement on the MHLA website, for just £75? Send your text and optional logo to us at:
email@example.com. We will supply an invoice. Adverts are published upon receipt of payment.