18 September 2023
4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
The MHLA invites members, particularly those representing in Wales, to attend a virtual meeting on Monday 18 September at 4pm, to discuss the consultation on A New Tribunal System for Wales: White Paper.
The purpose of the meeting will be to gather the views of members to incorporate into the MHLA response to this consultation. Attendees are encouraged to either send in comments in advance or share them on the day. This meeting will be facilitated by MHLA Committee members Angela Wall and Sean Waters.
This event is free to attend for MHLA members, but registration is required. Places are limited so we strongly recommend booking in advance. We will send the Zoom link and password to those attending on the day of the webinar.
Please note the meeting will be recorded. The recording will only be shared with Committee members.
We look forward to meeting you on Monday 18 September, at 4pm.
We are consulting on proposals to reform devolved tribunals in Wales. Our goal is to create a unified and coherent tribunal system that will better meet the present needs of tribunal justice in Wales. It will also be adaptable to meet the future needs in Wales.
Our main proposals include:
- a statutory framework for a single, unified and coherent tribunal system. It will comprise a new First-tier Tribunal for Wales with clear and consistent onward rights of appeal to a new Appeal Tribunal for Wales
- statutory duties to uphold the independence of the new tribunal system. There will be greater structural independence for the way in which it is administered, through a new body, “Tribiwnlysoedd Cymru/Tribunals Wales”
- judicial leadership and supervision by the President of Welsh Tribunals and Chamber presidents and deputies
- clear and efficient processes for setting procedural rules for the new tribunal system, and
- consistent arrangements for appointing tribunal members. Clear processes for dealing with cross- deployment and complaints.
Venue: ONLINE WEBINAR