This course is aimed at new MH practitioners and those about to go on the Panel course on 12-13 November 2014 or intending to do the Panel course in the near future.
Our presenters include Tribunal judges, Law Society assessors, LAA peer reviewers and costs assessors, and other experienced solicitors with a wealth of practical experience of representing patients at Mental Health Tribunals.
- MHLA members: £120
- Non-members: £175
6 SRA-accredited hours
Refreshments, but not lunch, will be provided.
Outline Programme –
MHLA Foundation Course Representing Detained Patients
Speakers (subject to change) : Sarah Burke, Neil Cronin, Tam Gill, Jonathan Wilson
1. Introduction to mental health legislation – the historical perspective
2. What does it mean to be “sectioned” – basic sections: definitions, statute and procedure relating to s.1, s.2, s.3, s.37/41, s.17, s.17A, s.72. s.73; Consent to Treatment provisions; Nearest Relatives
3. Legal Aid – how to complete CW1/2 forms; CLR
4. Running a mental health file – including the day to day life of a mental health lawyer, best practice in conducting a case file from start to finish including taking instructions, giving advice, case preparation and representation
5. What is a MHT – why could the patient need representation? – including ethical considerations, capacity, MHT procedure
6. What is a HMH – why could the patient need representation? – including renewal, applications, “powers”, merits of a HMH
7. What is a CPA – why could the patient need representation? – including LAA considerations etc, purpose of CPA, role of the legal representative
8. Q&A / Plenary session
To book a place, please send an email to our administrator Peter Lyle on firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, you can use the Paypal form below:
All cancellations must be made in writing. If your booking is cancelled up to two weeks before the course, the full fee, less £25 administration charge, will be refunded. We regret that no refund is possible if notice of the cancellation is received less than two weeks before the date of the course. Places may also be transferred, at no extra cost, to another delegate if the original delegate is unable to attend.
If you have any queries then please contact our administrator Peter Lyle on email@example.com