Paralegal (Court of Protection) Job Advert
We are looking for a paralegal to join our Court of Protection team. Atkins & Palmer is a growing firm and the role has excellent opportunities for career development, as well as a friendly team and supportive work environment.
About the firm
Atkins & Palmer is a specialist Court of Protection and mental health law firm. Our office is in the centre of Teddington, in the London Borough of Richmond.
Atkins & Palmer is recognised for its excellence in Court of Protection in the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners. Our director, Amy Butler, was recently a finalist in the Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Awards for disability rights. Dr Bogdan Cretu, co-founder of the firm, is a medical doctor with specialism in Emergency Medicine, bringing a wealth of medical experience to mental health and Court of Protection cases.
Atkins & Palmer holds a legal aid contract and we are committed to providing legal aid services and access to justice.
Atkins & Palmer is a forward-thinking firm, using technology to assist with the provision of high-quality advice. We are based in a modern office and are entirely paperless. We maintain a professional but also relaxed work environment.
You will work alongside our fee earners in the Court of Protection team. The post will involve assisting fee earners with the following:
- Case preparation, including drafting witness statements, preparing instructions to experts, preparing briefs to counsel and carrying out administrative tasks such as maintaining files and time recording.
- Arranging meetings with clients and conferences with counsel, attending court with counsel and attending other professional meetings.
- Meeting with clients with support and supervision.
- Reading evidence, reviewing medical records and undertaking legal research.
You will receive a thorough induction and appropriate support from a designated supervisor to enable you to succeed and feel comfortable in carrying out the role. As well as managing a caseload, you will be involved in marketing to continue to raise the profile of the firm and expand the client base. You will also have a learning and development plan and opportunities to work towards Law Society accreditation where appropriate.
We do offer trainee solicitor positions, and generally our trainees will be expected to spend a period of time as a paralegal within the firm (6-12 months) before being considered for a training contract.
The ideal candidate
The following is essential:
- LPC qualification
- Experience of working as a paralegal
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- The ability to work well under pressure, good time management skills and good team working skills
The following is desirable:
- Experience of working on legally aided cases
- Experience of working on Court of Protection cases
The guide salary band for this role is £20,000 – £23,000. The salary is subject to skills and experience.
The role is based in our office in Teddington, in the London Borough of Richmond.
We offer the following benefits:
- 25 days holiday
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave pay
- Enhanced sick leave pay
- Birthday leave
- Miscarriage leave
- Enhanced child bereavement leave pay
- Paid time off work for volunteering
As soon as possible, but this can be flexible to suit a successful candidate.
Application & interview
To apply for this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14 January 2022.
Your covering letter should set out how you meet the essential experience and skills for the role as set out in this advert. You should also include any additional experience and skills you would bring to the role. The interviews will take place as soon as possible at our office in Teddington.
Would you like to see your job advertisement on the MHLA website, for just £75? Send your text and optional logo to us at: email@example.com. We will supply an invoice. Adverts are published upon receipt of payment.